About the DesignerCharles & Ray Eames
Charles Ormond Eames, Jr (1907–1978) and Bernice Alexandra "Ray" (née Kaiser) Eames (1912–1988) were American designers, who worked in and made major contributions to modern architecture and furniture. They also worked in the fields of industrial and graphic design, fine art and film.
Charles and Ray Eames designed La Chaise in 1948 for a competition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, inspired by ''Floating Figure'', a sculpture by Gaston Lachaise. It is the unbelievable elegance of this assertive seating sculpture that enables any number of sitting and reclining positions, which is so very appealing. It has long since established itself as an icon of organic design.Features:
- White shell
- Crafted of two bonded fiberglass shells
- Chrome-plated tubular steel frame
- Natural solid oak crossed-shape base
- Design is the process by which almost all objects in Vitra's surroundings are instilled with a specific design and function - from cars to paper clips, from clothing to chairs. And design does not just mean giving things a shape. Design creates the basis which enables things to function in the desired manner. It is a process in which complementary but often mutually contradictory requirements have to be met (comfort, technology, ergonomics, ecology, economics, aesthetics). Design can be successful only when the balance of all these factors is attained.
- Once in the factory, Vitra staff manufacture furniture to precise standards, individually ensuring the quality of each product.
- Vitra has been certified for DIN EN ISO 9001: 2000.
- Vitra's focus on quality does not end at the factory door - they believe that providing clients with exceptional service is just as important as manufacturing furniture. In order to make certain Vitra clients enjoy consistently high quality in all Vitra products, they have set up their own test center which monitors products against criteria that are far more stringent than the statutory standards.
- Ergonomics is an applied science that studies the relationship between human beings and machines. Vitra produces furniture that responds to the ergonomic requirements of the body and as a consequence has a positive effect on health and well-being. All Vitra products (except for the experimental series Vitra Edition) have been tested by independent institutions. They comply with prescribed standards under the European Directive on VDU Work and are marked with the GS seal (= Gepr fte Sicherheit or Tested Safety, seal of the independent certification company LGA).
- Vitra's contribution to ecological conservation does not stop with a close examination of materials and processes. All aspects of the company's work involve ecological thinking.
- In 1991, Vitra set up an internal ecology committee to discuss environmental topics. This team identifies new tasks, and its project teams work together to find solutions.
- Vitra uses only non-CFC foams and adhesives free of toxic solvents; all possible materials are recycled. Wherever possible, Vitra uses recycled materials.
- Vitra's goal during production is to minimize noise and emission levels as well as to reduce waste. Packaging materials are kept to a minimum and re-used as often as possible.
- Collection: Charles and Ray Eames
- Distressed: No
- Country of Manufacture: Germany
- Overall Dimensions: 34.25'' H x 59'' W x 34.34'' D
- Seat Height: 19.25''
- Base Width: 35.5''
Free In-Home Delivery
Ships via Inside Delivery & Packaging Disposal
back to top
|La Chaise Lounge Chair by Charles and Ray Eames
||34.25" H x 59" W x 34.34" D
|Chair Design:||Lounge Chairs|
|Features Options:||EcoFriendly, Ready To Assemble|
|Product Category:||Accent Chairs|
We're sorry, we have no FAQs to display.
back to top