About the DesignerLudwig Mies van der Rohe
Germany (1866 - 1969)
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe began his career working in his father's stonemasonry business. After an apprenticeship with furniture designer Bruno Paul in Berlin, he joined the office of architect Peter Behrens, whose work presaged the modern movement. In 1912, Mies established his own office in Berlin, and later became a member of the Deutscher Werkbund and Director of the Bauhaus. He immigrated to the United States in 1938, setting up a practice in Chicago. His buildings include the German Pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona Exposition, the Tugendhat Villa in Brno, Czechoslovakia, the Seagram Building, designed with Philip Johnson, a cluster of residential towers along Chicago's Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and the Illinois Institute of Technology campus, where he was the director of architecture.
Created by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for the German Pavilion at the 1929 Barcelona Exposition, the Child's Barcelona Chair features the pure compositional structure that now epitomizes modern architecture. Reduced to an 85% scale of the original Barcelona Chair, this piece is truly a classic in every sense of the word. From the comfortable leather upholstery, right down to the sleek silhouette--the Child's Barcelona Chair is modern furniture at its finest. The Design
From the hand-buffed frame to the forty Spinneybeck leather panels carefully hand-welted together and hand-tufted with leather and buttons--the Child's Barcelona Chair is a hand-crafted modern masterpiece. Mies van der Rohe's original 1929 design has managed to stay relevant today, fitting in seamlessly with almost any decor--from casual to formal--the Child's Barcelona Chair is a modern must-have. Each chair is a tribute to traditional craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail.
Upholstered in of high quality Spinneybeck leather, the Barcelona Lounge Collection was honored with The Museum of Modern Art Award in 1977. Each piece also features the KnollStudio® logo and a stamp of Mies van der Rohe's signature. The entire Barcelona Lounge Collection is GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®. *This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into production Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1929
- Barcelona collection
- Exclusive manufacturing and sales rights accorded to Knoll by the designer in 1953
- Chair is reduced to 85% scale from the standard Barcelona Chair
- Chrome frame is hand-ground and hand-buffed to a mirror finish; upholstery attaches to frame with aluminum rivets
- Upholstery belting straps made of cowhide
- Upholstery straps are dyed to match specified upholstery color
- Seat and back cushions adapt to fit curve of frame
- Chair contains seventeen belting support straps
- Chair features forty panels-cut, hand-welted and hand-tufted with Spinneybeck leather and buttons
- Panels and buttons are produced from a single piece of Spinneybeck cowhide
- Cushions are premium quality, highly resilient urethane foam with down-like dacron polyester fiberfill
- The KnollStudio logo and designer signature are stamped on each piece
- The Barcelona Lounge Seating Collection is Greenguard Certifie
- The Museum of Modern Art Award - 1977
Order with Confidence:
- Overall Dimensions: 25" H x 24" W x 24" D
- Seat Height: 14"
Note: This quality item is custom made for your order. Unfortunately, this means that orders cannot be cancelled or returned once placed, so please call our trained staff with any questions you may have prior to ordering - we will ensure that you get exactly what you need.
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such "green" initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED® certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- The Barcelona Lounge Seating Collection is Greenguard certified
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Barcelona Stool that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost
- Each authentic Knoll product is stamped with the KnollStudio Logo and designer signature and includes a certificate of authenticity.
Please Note: This product does not meet Cal 133 specifications