About the DesignerCharles & Ray Eames
Charles Ormond Eames, Jr (1907–1978) and Bernice Alexandra "Ray" (née Kaiser) Eames (1912–1988) were American designers, who worked in and made major contributions to modern architecture and furniture. They also worked in the fields of industrial and graphic design, fine art and film.
This new technology and designed a truly comfortable chair and a stylish coffee table that are suitable for businesses and homes.
It's an achievement others have noticed — Time Magazine named the Molded Plywood Chair the Best Design of the 20th Century. A coordinating coffee table completes an ideal lounge or living room set.
Features at a Glance:
- In the early 1940s, when Charles Eames was working on MGM set designs, he would return to the small apartment where he and his wife, Ray, were experimenting with wood-molding techniques that would have profound effects on the design world. Their discoveries led to a commission from the U.S. Navy in 1942 to develop plywood splints, stretchers, and glider shells molded under heat and pressure
- After World War II, they adapted the technology to create inexpensive, high-quality chairs that could be mass-produced. The process eliminated the extraneous wood needed to connect the seat with the back, which reduced the weight and visual profile of the chair and established a basis for modern furniture design. The Molded Plywood Chair is in the permanent collection of New York's Museum of Modern Art
- Charles and Ray Eames applied the same breakthrough process to create their classic Molded Plywood Coffee Table. This classic table's top and legs are shaped by molding thin wood veneers under heat and pressure - the same breakthrough process Charles and Ray Eames used to create their Molded Plywood Chairs
- The coffee table first came to Herman Miller's attention when George Nelson, design director, saw it and other Eames molded plywood products at a showing in the Barclay Hotel in New York City in the mid-1940s. Nelson contacted the Eameses and soon afterward, they were designing for Herman Miller. First offered by Herman Miller in 1946, these imaginative tables are an enduring landmark of modern, functional design
Molded Plywood Coffee Table
A Table in the Classic Eames Mold
- 34 inch round top
- Lightweight but sturdy plywood construction makes the table easily movable
- Features slightly indented top
- Legs are gently curved
Molded Plywood Lounge Chairs
- Features distinct molded plywood construction
- Five-ply top with three lightweight maple inner plies
- Inner plies are sandwiched between two natural face veneers
- Four-leg base is eight-ply with veneers to match top
- Distinctive Design
- Five-ply seat and back
- Natural face veneers and hardwood inner plies (one of the sheets of veneer that are glued together to make plywood)
- Wood legs are gently curved
- A comfortable addition to a living room, lounge, or waiting area
- A Shape that Sits Well
- Sculpted forms with gently curved shapes give the hard material a soft, inviting appearance
- Molded shape of chairs is designed to comfortably fit the body
- Natural rubber shock mounts absorb movement
- Coffee Table dimensions: 15.5" H x 34" W x 34" D
Why Buy From Us?
- Dimensions: 26.5" H x 22" W x 24.25" D
- Seat Height: 15.5"
NOTE: This is a special-order item. As such, orders for this item cannot be cancelled once placed. To ensure your satisfaction, please call us with any questions you have prior to ordering.
- Wayfair stand behind our on all Herman Miller products
- Wayfair also back a 12-Year. Should you experience any problems with your Eames Molded Plywood Coffee Table and Lounge Chairs, Herman Miller will cover the cost of fixing it for you
- Also, should you discover shortly after receiving your Eames Molded Plywood Coffee Table and Lounge Chairs that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost
Ships via FedEx/UPS
back to top
|Eames ® Molded Plywood Coffee Table||15.5" H x 34" W x 34" D||23 lbs.|
|Pieces in Set:||Coffee, End, and Console Table|
|Product Category:||Coffee Table Sets|
|Style:||Modern / Contemporary|
|Wood Tone:||Light Wood|
We're sorry, we have no FAQs to display.
back to top