About the DesignerJames Irvine
England (1958 - )
Born in London in 1958, James Irvine is a graduate of The Royal College of Art, London. From 1984 to 1992, he was a design consultant for Olivetti Design Studio, Milan, designing industrial products under the direction of Michele De Lucchi and Ettore Sottsass. Under Olivetti's cultural exchange program, he worked for a year at the Toshiba Design Centre in Tokyo.
Irvine returned to Milan in 1988 and opened his private design studio. From 1993 to 1997, he was also a partner of Sottsass Associati Milan and was responsible for the industrial design group. In 1999, he completed the design of the new city bus for the Hanover transport system Üstra, in collaboration with Mercedes Benz.
In 2004, Irvine was the guest of honor at the fair Interieur in Kortrijk, and was elected RDI Royal Designer for Industry by the Royal Society of Arts in London. He has worked with various internationally renowned companies including Alfi, Artemide, Arabia, B&B Italia, Canon Japan, Coro, Duravit, Foscarini, Magis, Olivari, Plank, Thonet, Whirlpool and WMF.
The clean and sharp Float collection will illuminate your home in an unobtrusive way. These cable suspended luminaires give off direct/indirect softly diffused energy saving fluorescent lighting. Optional blue or topaz colored filters are applicable to the upper, indirect emission diffuser. Features:
- Float collection
- Body in extruded and die-cast aluminum with white lacquer finish
- Upper, indirect light emission diffuser in clear polycarbonate with optional blue or topaz colored filters
- Lower, direct light emission diffuser in opaline polycarbonate
- Suspension canopy in white molded thermoplastic and steel incorporating 120V fluorescent ballast and holding four body supporting teflon coated cables
- Equipped with thermally protected, class P, high power factor 120V electronic fluorescent ballasts
- Mounts directly to rigid ceiling surface (hardware by others) over standard electrical junction boxes
- U.L. listed
- Voltage: 120V
- Accommodates: 1 x 55W (2GX13/T5 circline) fluorescent bulb (not included)
- Overall dimensions: 39.25-63" H x 21.75" Dia