In any design problem, one should seek the solution in terms of the next largest thing, designer Eero Saarinen once said. ''If the problem is a chair, then its solution must be found in the way it relates to the room.'' One glance at the ultra-modern Tulip Stool and you'll instantly think of a place in your home for it. Whether you put four of them around your kitchen table or in your home office, the Tulip Stool is a standout addition to any setting. The Design Eero Saarinen might be considered by some to be a purist when it came to his approach towards architecture and interior design. He sought the essential idea and reduced it to the most effective structural solution within an overall unity of design. To that end, he designed the Tulip Stool in 1957 in terms of setting, rather than a particular shape. The Tulip is a single-legged chair made from fiberglass-reinforced resin. With Tulip, Saarinen realized his ideal form of unity: ''Every significant piece of furniture from the past has a holistic structure.'' Saarinen's Tulip Stool won the prestigious Museum of Modern Art Award in 1969, the Federal Award for Industrial Design in 1969 as well as the Design Center Stuttgart Award in 1962. Each authentic Tulip Stool features the KnollStudio logo and designer signature stamped into the base of the stool. Additionally, the Tulip Stool is GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified.
- Upholstery Options<li>Mariner: A plump weave structure brings texture and depth, a solid upholstery fabric well suited for task seating and other classic contract applications. Nylon 100.0%. Backing-Acrylic. Knoll Grade A.<li>Vinyl: KnollTextiles Vinyl provides a workhorse upholstery solution in a palette of classic neutrals and primary brights. Cotton (backing) 3.0%, Vinyl (Face) 91.0%, Polyester (Backing) 6.0%. Knoll Grade B<li>Classic Boucle: The rich, nubby texture of Classic Boucl is evocative of traditional hand woven upholstery textiles. Recently recolored, Classic Boucl is a timeless addition to any interior. Wool 43.0%, Nylon 57.0%. Backing-Acrylic. Knoll Grade B<li>Cato: Introduced in 1961, Cato has achieved iconic status among upholstery textiles. Primarily constructed of wool, the exaggerated texture of this pattern recalls the hand weaving tradition. Wool 86.0%, Rayon 14.0%. Backing-Acrylic. Knoll Grade I<li>Spencer: A rich epingl that comes in a range of saturated colors. Wool pile 45.0%, Cotton Ground 55.0%. Finish-mothproof. Knoll Grade G<li>Volo: A lightly corrected, aniline Spinneybeck leather. The light correcting process refines the surface of the leather, preparing the material for the reception of the grain enhancement given prior to finishing. Volo receives a special retannage which enriches the leather, tightens the grain and provides a hand and a level of quality superior to those of other corrected leathers. Heavy finish. Chrome tannage. Breathable protective finish. Greenguard Certified. Grade U<li>Sabrina Leather: A Spinneybeck full grain leather. This leather provides a smooth, tight grain and suppleness of hand. It is perfect for high-traffic use in places such as office seating or lounge furniture. Medium finish. Chrome tannage. Breathable, protective finish. Greenguard certified. Knoll Grade U<li>Ultrasuede: The premier microfiber in the marketplace. Made from 80% recycled materials. Designed for wrapped panel, wallcovering and upholstery applications. Knoll Grade G. Note: Please call for more upholstery options Awards: *This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into production Dimensions:<li>Overall Dimensions: 18.5'' H x 15.5'' Diameter<li>Seat Height: 18.5''</ul>Order with Confidence:<ul><li>Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such ''green'' initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council<li>The Saarinen Tulip Stool is Greenguard certified<li>Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty<li>Should you discover shortly after receiving your Tulip Chair that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost<li>Each authentic Knoll product is stamped with the KnollStudio Logo and designer signature and includes a certificate of authenticity</ul>
- Design Year: 1957
- Stools feature a swivel base
- Museum of Modern Art Award 1969
- Federal Award for Industrial Design 1969
- Design Center Stuttgart Award 1962
- Features at a Glance: base available in black, white or platinum finish
- Features at a Glance: Upholstered Cushion is available in a wide selection of Knoll textiles and Spinneybeck leathers. Contact us for more fabrics
- Features at a Glance:Base made of cast aluminum in a rilsan coated finish
- Upholstery Material: Velvet; Leather; Cotton
See something odd?
Report it here.