About the Designer
b. Denmark, 1916
The first true Knoll designer, Jens Risom joined the young Hans Knoll Furniture Company in the early 1940s as the sole designer of interiors and furniture. Born in Denmark to the well-known architect Sven Risom, Jens worked in Stockholm for one year before graduating from the prestigious Kundstandvaerkerskolen in Copenhagen.
Risom left Denmark for the United States in 1938 and, for two years, served as Director of Interior Design at the studio of Dan Cooper, Inc. in New York before starting a freelance career specializing in furniture and textiles. It was during this time that he met Hans Knoll. The pair collaborated on an exhibition for the New York World's Fair. Knoll asked Risom, who had been searching for a promoter and manufacturer, to help him design interiors for clients around New York.
With Hans handling client relations and Jens planning interiors and designing furniture when needed, the pair began to take on more design projects. In 1942 they printed the first Knoll Catalog, which included 15 pieces designed by Risom — the very first furniture to be commissioned specifically by Knoll. Working ingeniously within the constraints of wartime material shortages, Risom developed several chairs and tables using essentially scraps of wood and rejected nylon straps from parachute production. Despite these constraints, Risom was able to design innovative and truly modern pieces of furniture, a selection of which were reintroduced by Knoll in 1994.
In 1943, Risom left Knoll to join the U.S. Army. He returned to the United States in 1946 to launch his own design firm Jens Risom Design, which he ran until the early 1970s. After selling his company, Risom relocated to Connecticut and started a design consultancy firm. He is a trustee of the Rhode Island School of Design and was knighted by Queen Margrethe of Denmark in 1996.
Part of a larger collection designed in 1941, the Kid's Risom Amoeba Table incorporates a natural aesthetic characteristic of understated Scandinavian design. The Kid's Amoeba Table displays the same sturdy, straightforward construction and organic shapes that embody Risom's distinctive style. This table and chair set will be loved by all children while showing off your contemporary design sensibilities. Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1941
- Amoeba Table has a woodgrain top with laminate finish in honey
- Table base and chair frame made of solid natural beech with mortise and tenon construction
- Chair available with either an open or upholstered webbed back
- Upholstered in choice of nylon/cotton blend
- Nylon webbing is 60% nylon, 40% cotton with stain-protective finish
- Some minor assembly is required
Order with Confidence:
- Amoeba Table Dimensions: 20" H x 42" W x 32" D
- Risom Side Chair Dimensions: 23" H x 13.13" W x 15.38" D
- Risom Stool Dimensions: 13.5" H x 12.3" W x 11.5" D
- Seat Height: 13.25"
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such "green" initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED® certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Knoll products that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost
- Each authentic Knoll product includes a certificate of authenticity