About the Designer
The designer Jorge Pensi is a leading exponent of Spanish design. Pensi's elegant designs can be described as expressive Minimalist, notable for the balance he has so convincingly achieved between form and function. Born in Buenos Aires in 1949, Jorge Pensi also studied architecture there. In 1975 Jorge Pensi moved to Barcelona and became a Spanish citizen in 1977. That same year, 1977, Jorge Pensi joined other designers to found Grupo Berenguer, a design agency. In 1984, however, Jorge Pensi established a practice of his own in Barcelona, where he specialized in designing both furnishings and lighting. Jorge Pensi is famous for his elegant, meticulously crafted cast aluminium furniture. Among the best known Jorge Pensi designs is the 1988 "Toledo", his take on the ubiquitous Spanish street café chair. In 1989 Jorge Pensi designed "Orfilia" (for Thonet), a chair with a cast aluminium frame and a seat and back of lacquered laminated wood. Jorge Pensi's designs for the Spanish firm B.Lux include the "Regina" and "Bluebird" lamps. Jorge Pensi's designs have been made by a great many big international names in design, including Arruti, B.Lux, Cassina, Disform, Driade, IBM, Knoll International, Kusch+Co, SIDI, and Thonet.
Barcelona architect and industrial designer Jorge Pensi brings his forward-looking aesthetic to Knoll with the Toledo chair, which stands out among coffeehouse chairs. The Toledo chair is a fluid combination of cast-aluminum back and seat sections joined by tubular aluminum arms and legs. The chair's material makes it versatile in application, appropriate for indoor and outdoor use.
*This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into production Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1988
- Seat, back and arms made of thermo-treated polished cast aluminum
- Legs made of anodized, polished tubular aluminum
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Aluminum won't reflect extreme outdoor temperatures
- Can stack up to four chairs high
- A KnollStudio classic, the AMAT-3 logo and designer's name are stamped on chairs
- First Place, Sidi Selection, Valencia, Spain, 1988
- "Delta Plate" of ADI FAD, 1988
- Design Center Stuttgart Award, W. Germany, 1990
Order with Confidence:
- Overall: 29.9" H x 21.6" W x 21.25" D
- Seat height: 17.75" H
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such "green" initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED® certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- The Toledo Stacking Chair is Greenguard certified
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty.
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Toledo Stacking Chair that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost.
- Toledo Chairs are stamped under the seat with the name of the designer and the manufacturer, AMAT-3, and include a certificate of authenticity.
We're sorry, we have no additional specifications for this product.