About the DesignerJens Risom
b. Denmark, 1916
The first true Knoll designer, Jens Risom joined the young Hans Knoll Furniture Company in the early 1940s as the sole designer of interiors and furniture. Born in Denmark to the well-known architect Sven Risom, Jens worked in Stockholm for one year before graduating from the prestigious Kundstandvaerkerskolen in Copenhagen.
Risom left Denmark for the United States in 1938 and, for two years, served as Director of Interior Design at the studio of Dan Cooper, Inc. in New York before starting a freelance career specializing in furniture and textiles. It was during this time that he met Hans Knoll. The pair collaborated on an exhibition for the New York World's Fair. Knoll asked Risom, who had been searching for a promoter and manufacturer, to help him design interiors for clients around New York.
With Hans handling client relations and Jens planning interiors and designing furniture when needed, the pair began to take on more design projects. In 1942 they printed the first Knoll Catalog, which included 15 pieces designed by Risom — the very first furniture to be commissioned specifically by Knoll. Working ingeniously within the constraints of wartime material shortages, Risom developed several chairs and tables using essentially scraps of wood and rejected nylon straps from parachute production. Despite these constraints, Risom was able to design innovative and truly modern pieces of furniture, a selection of which were reintroduced by Knoll in 1994.
In 1943, Risom left Knoll to join the U.S. Army. He returned to the United States in 1946 to launch his own design firm Jens Risom Design, which he ran until the early 1970s. After selling his company, Risom relocated to Connecticut and started a design consultancy firm. He is a trustee of the Rhode Island School of Design and was knighted by Queen Margrethe of Denmark in 1996.
Back in 1941, Danish designer Jens Risom created the Round Dining Table exclusively for Knoll. Today, the Round Dining Table's elegant and modern design is just as relevant as ever. Working a lot with wood, Risom's signature style clearly comes through in this fun and contemporary dining table. The Design Part of a larger collection designed in 1941, the Risom Round Dining Table incorporates a natural aesthetic characteristic of understated Scandinavian design. The Round Dining Table displays the same sturdy, straightforward construction and organic shapes that embody Risom's distinctive style. One of the first pieces commissioned by Knoll, this table is suitable for any decor. The Risom Round Dining Table is available in either a clear maple finish or ebonized maple finish and black laminate top. *This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into productionRead more
- Top features cathedral pattern with popular cross bands and backing
- Ebonized base comes in solid maple hardwood with black laminate top and ebonized edge
- Legs and aprons are made of solid maple hardwood and feature mortise and tenon joints
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such ''green'' initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Risom Dining Table that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost. .
- Order with Confidence:Each authentic Knoll product includes a certificate of authenticity.
- Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1941Top comes in clear maple veneer
- Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1941Core and edge is made of solid maple hardwood lumber in clear finish
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty.
We're sorry, we have no additional specifications for this product.