About the DesignerJens Risom
b. Denmark, 1916
The first true Knoll designer, Jens Risom joined the young Hans Knoll Furniture Company in the early 1940s as the sole designer of interiors and furniture. Born in Denmark to the well-known architect Sven Risom, Jens worked in Stockholm for one year before graduating from the prestigious Kundstandvaerkerskolen in Copenhagen.
Risom left Denmark for the United States in 1938 and, for two years, served as Director of Interior Design at the studio of Dan Cooper, Inc. in New York before starting a freelance career specializing in furniture and textiles. It was during this time that he met Hans Knoll. The pair collaborated on an exhibition for the New York World's Fair. Knoll asked Risom, who had been searching for a promoter and manufacturer, to help him design interiors for clients around New York.
With Hans handling client relations and Jens planning interiors and designing furniture when needed, the pair began to take on more design projects. In 1942 they printed the first Knoll Catalog, which included 15 pieces designed by Risom — the very first furniture to be commissioned specifically by Knoll. Working ingeniously within the constraints of wartime material shortages, Risom developed several chairs and tables using essentially scraps of wood and rejected nylon straps from parachute production. Despite these constraints, Risom was able to design innovative and truly modern pieces of furniture, a selection of which were reintroduced by Knoll in 1994.
In 1943, Risom left Knoll to join the U.S. Army. He returned to the United States in 1946 to launch his own design firm Jens Risom Design, which he ran until the early 1970s. After selling his company, Risom relocated to Connecticut and started a design consultancy firm. He is a trustee of the Rhode Island School of Design and was knighted by Queen Margrethe of Denmark in 1996.
Back in 1941, Danish designer Jens Risom created an exclusive collection for Knoll. Today, the entire collection, including the suave-looking Risom Kid's Side Chair's unique and modern design is just as relevant as ever. Working a lot with wood, Risom's signature style clearly comes through in this fun and modern side chair. The Design
Part of a larger collection, designed in 1941--the Risom Side Chair incorporates a natural aesthetic, characteristic of understated Scandinavian design. The side chairs are made of maple and cotton or nylon webbing and look great in any setting. Set them up in your dining room or office to achieve a polished ambience. Coming in a variety colors, the Risom Side Chair is easily adaptable to your taste and personal style. Not only will these stylish side chairs look fabulous in your home, but they also give you peace of mind--Risom Side Chairs are GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®. *This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into production Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1941 Features
- Risom collection
- Frame is made of honey beech
- Mortise and tenon construction
- Nylon webbing is 60% nylon, 40% cotton with stain-protective finish
- Overall Dimensions: 23" H x 13.13" W x 15.38" D
- Seat Height: 13.25"
Order with Confidence:
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such "green" initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED® certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- The Risom Side Chair is Greenguard certified
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Risom Side Chair that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost
- Each authentic Knoll product includes a certificate of authenticity
We're sorry, we have no additional specifications for this product.