In 1953, Gedy was founded by Luigi De Luca and became a distributer for household items on the Italian market. In 1968, it took on the transformation into a joint stock company and began it's initial production of bathroom furnishing accessories made from wood, porcelain, and resin. In 1983, Gedy set up a Spanish branch and by 1997 they became stateside with a head office transfer to Senago, MI and a warehouse transfer to Origgio, VA which was shortly followed by the final head office transfer to VA.
Gedy celebrated its first fifty years in business in 2003. The company has come a long way from its first collections in plastic (which introduced the theme of "colored design" on the market) to embody the major changes of the past few years. In 1988, the Gedy collection was joined by the Oltre by Gedy line. Designed for a mid-to-upper target, the collection has gradually expanded to include countertop and wall-mounted accessories in glass, brass and steel as well as a wide range of fabrics. Naturally, you still find classic products that have represented turning points in the world of accessories, such as the Cucciolo toilet bowl brush holder by Makio Hasuike, which has been part of the permanent collection at the New York Museum of Modern Art since 1977.