Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2006, the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman are considered among the most significant and collectible furniture designs of the 20th century. The rich veneer and supple leather suggest old-fashioned luxury translated into modern forms, setting an enduring standard for comfort and elegance. As popular as it's become, the lounge chair remains grounded in the details that continue to distinguish it. The Design: The Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman is the culmination of Charles and Ray Eames' efforts to create comfortable and handsome lounge seating by using production techniques that combine technology and handcraftsmanship. Its heritage goes back to the molded plywood chairs pioneered by the Eameses in the 1940s, and It's part of the permanent collection of New York's Museum of Modern Art. Charles Eames said his goal for the chair was the ''warm, receptive look of a well-used first baseman's mitt.'' Every one is a special refuge from the strains of modern living. The first lounge chair and ottoman, produced in 1956, made its public debut on Arlene Francis' Home show, which later became the Today show.
- Why Buy From Us?: Should you discover shortly after receiving your Eames Lounge and Ottoman that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost.
- The Original Look: Classic aesthetic
- The Original Look: Environmentally sound, the wood is harvested exclusively from sustainably managed forests
- The Original Look: Order the Lounge and Ottoman together to ensure that the wood shells match
- Classic Comfort: Luxurious feel
- Classic Comfort: 6-inch-thick urethane foam cushions
- Classic Comfort: Rich leather
- Classic Comfort: Seat contours and high back welcome the sitter
- Classic Comfort: Built-in swivel mechanism
- Classic Comfort: Permanently tilted at a 15-degree angle to properly distribute a person's weight to the back of the chair for maximum comfort
- Quality and Craftsmanship: Shell is seven-ply veneer
- Quality and Craftsmanship: Cushions are individually upholstered and replaceable
- Quality and Craftsmanship: Back cushions are interchangeable
- Quality and Craftsmanship: Resilient natural rubber shock mounts
- Quality and Craftsmanship: Base and back braces are die-cast aluminum, paintedblack with bright polished aluminum trim
- Quality and Craftsmanship: Adjustable stainless steel glides
- Eames® Lounge collection
- Why Buy From Us?: Wayfair backs a 5-year warranty. Should you experience any problems with your Eames Lounge and Ottoman, Herman Miller will cover the cost of fixing it for you.
- Chair Design: Arm chair; Lounge chair
- Upholstery Material: Suede
See something odd?
Report it here.