About the Designer
(1915 - 1978)
Harry Bertoia garnered icon status as a designer when he created the Bertoia Collection for Knoll in 1952. Italian-born, Bertoia utilized his superior skills as a sculptor to bend and shape industrial wire rods into chairs that would become pinnacles of twentieth century furniture design. Now considered modern classics, the Collection was so commercially successful that it allowed Bertoia to dedicate himself exclusively to his main artistic passion: sculpting. His awards include the craftsmanship medal from the American Institute of Architects, as well as AIA's Gold Medal. Awards: "Designer of the Year," 1955, USA Certificate of Merit, American Institute of Architects
Harry Bertoia's 1950 experiment with bending metal rods into practical art produced a revered collection of seating, including the unique Bird Chair and Ottoman. Innovative, comfortable and strikingly handsome, the chair's delicate filigree appearance belies its strength and durability. In Bertoia's own words, “If you look at these chairs, they are mainly made of air, like sculpture. Space passes through them.” The chair is offered here with a full cover and a matching ottoman. Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1952
- Set includes one Bertoia Bird Chair and one Bertoia Ottoman
- Frames are scratch, stain, and chip resistant
- Stainless steel connections
- Plastic glides included
- The Knoll logo is stamped into the base of the chair
- Covers are stretched over wire frames and attached with hooks
- "Designer of the Year," 1955, USA
- Certificate of Merit, American Institute of Architects
- Design Center Stuttgart Award, W. Germany, 1962
Order with Confidence:
- Bertoia Bird Chair: 40.25" H x 38.5" W x 33" D
Seat Height: 14.5"
- Bertoia Ottoman: 14.5" H x 23.5" W x 17.25"
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such "green" initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED® certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- The Bertoia Bird Chair and Ottoman are Greenguard certified
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty.
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Bertoia Bird Chair and Ottoman that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost.
- Each authentic Knoll product includes a certificate of authenticity.
This product does not meet Cal 133 specifications.